These vegan and gluten-free almond and cinnamon cookies are a healthier version of a traditional German Christmas recipe. This 5-ingredient cookie is super simple and easy to make, healthy and extra yummy. They are soft, chewy and moist, with the taste and smell of Christmas. Absolutely addictive!
A few weeks ago we were walking around the city with my boyfriend and he stopped by these little cookie stars in a supermarket. Although he doesn’t really like sweets he said these little things taste super good and he would really love to eat some. Since I’m an evil girlfriend I told him not to buy those (unhealthy and full of sugar and blablabla). But I was also very intrigued by them, so I decided to look for a recipe and make some for him – because I’m not extra evil. It turned out the cookies called Zimtsterne (cinnamon stars) are traditional German Christmas cookies, made with ground almonds, sugar, cinnamon and eggs. For this version I used orange juice, coconut sugar plus chia seeds instead of the eggs, so they actually turned out pretty healthy. And delicious of course!
The cookies are incredible soft and tender, but still slightly crisp on the edges. If you bake them 5-10 minutes longer you get a harder cookie, which is perfect to dip in hot chocolate. You can try to use walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts or a mixture of those instead of almonds. And of course you don’t have to stop at cinnamon. Add vanilla, cardamom, orange zest, anise, whatever you like! And use a star shaped cookie cutter if you have one, unfortunately I only have boring round ones.
- 2 cups of ground almonds
- ⅔ cup of coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 3-5 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grind chia seeds and coconut sugar finely in a food processor.
- Add ground chia, sugar, almond and cinnamon to a large mixing bowl and quickly mix everything together.
- Add first about 3 tablespoons of orange juice and mix everything well together until a sticky dough forms. Add more orange juice if needed.
- Roll the dough out about 0,7 cm/0,3 inch thick between two pieces of baking paper. Cut out shapes and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!