These artichokes with sun-dried tomato dip make an amazing and elegant appetizer, light dinner or the prettiest side dish ever. The sweet-savoury and tangy dip is a healthier alternative to the classical buttery dips and makes the perfect accompaniment to the tender artichoke leaves.
Oh, do you know how long it has been since I bought a whole artichoke? Extremely long! I have to admit I am usually okay with the canned hearts. Because they put only the best parts of the artichokes in the cans and it saves you so much time and pain….but let’s be honest. Canned artichokes are not pretty. And whole artichokes are beautiful! Beautiful, wonderful and so fascinating! These little cactuses are just the most graceful plant ever! So I say sometimes we should appreciate this beauty and spend a little extra time on preparing it. It absolutely worth it!
- 2 artichokes
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 lemons, juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- bunch of fresh herbs (I used parsley and basil)
- 4 tbsp olive oil (I used the oil from the tomatoes)
- salt, pepper
- Prepare artichokes. Pull off a row of leaves towards the base and cut off the stems. Slice about 2 cm off the tip of the artichokes, then cut off thorned tips of all of the artichoke leaves. Rinse them in cold water.
- Add artichokes to a pot with juice of a lemon and a pinch of salt, then cover with water. Cover the pot with a lid and cook artichokes for about 30 minutes or until they are tender.
- For the dip add tomatoes, juice of 2 lemons, garlic, herbs, olive oil and seasoning to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve artichokes cold or warm with the dip on the side. Enjoy!