Simple and budget-friendly aubergine and bean stew.
This vegan aubergine and bean stew makes a great, filling meal. It’s a healthy, high carb, oil-free and very satisfying dish, which happens to be also cheap and super easy to make. All you’ll need to do to make this simple dish is dice some vegetables, and sauté them in a perfectly spiced broth. Your kitchen is going to smell AMAZING.
When my bones crave warm things on colder days (yes, it’s officially spring, but the weather here doesn’t really seem to care about it), I love to make veggie soups and stews. This recipe is one my mom used to make a lot when I was small and it was definitely a family favourite. It’s so satisfying and heartwarming, full of flavours and textures, just perfect! It’s a very simple and totally customisable recipe. Use any of your favourite beans, chickpeas, or corn, add zucchini, tomatoes or pumpkin cubes, season it with fresh Italian herbs, or give it a Middle Eastern or Mexican twist with your favourite spices. Aubergine and bean stew is delicious with rice, quinoa, millet, couscous, bulgur or buckwheat, or even as a pasta sauce. It also freezes well, so don’t be afraid to double the recipe and simply freeze the leftover for busy days.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1 onion
- 2 aubergines
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1-2 cup of veggie broth (or water)
- 2-3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- dash of liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of dried basil
- 1 tbsp summer savory
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt, pepper
- 2 scallions to serve
- 1 handful of cilantro
- Dice onion, mince garlic, slice scallions, drain and rinse beans and cut aubergines into small cubes.
- Place onions in a large saucepan and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water at a time as needed, to keep veggies from sticking.
- Add aubergine, garlic, basil, summer savory, coriander, smoked paprika, cayenne and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add veggie broth, tomato puree, soy sauce, liquid smoke, apple cider vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, until aubergines are tender. Add kidney beans and cook for 2-3 more minutes until beans are heated through.
- Serve with brown rice, millet or quinoa with scallion and cilantro on top. Enjoy!