Who doesn’t love a good ol’ sandwich? Who doesn’t love a sandwich stuffed with veggies, creamy avocado and crunchy protein-packed tempeh which happens to be spicy and just slightly sweet too. And who doesn’t love a sandwich which is super delicious, also healthy and perfect with a glass of cold beer? Right? Who wouldn’t love this avocado and maple glazed tempeh sandwich here?
What happens when you have a new friend who happens to know where you can buy a kilo of tempeh for 3€? Nah? Serious tempeh overdose. I managed to eat almost half a kilo of tempeh in just one week, which made me kinda sick. But after a week of tempeh detox I got back on track, because tempeh is amazing. Period. Tempeh is great in salads, on soba noodles, in soups or simply roasted for a quick dinner with some sweet potato fries or in a sandwich.
I usually marinade a lots of tempeh at a time, so I have some for a quick dinner all week long. You can also bake them and just keep in the fridge for the next days to add to any of your favourite salads or sandwiches. These maple glazed tempeh slices are also delicious as a topping for soups and stews or just as a little snack (dipped in guacamole or hummus).
- 10 paper thin slices of tempeh
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt, pepper
- 2 bread rolls or 4 slices of bread
- 1 avocado
- ½ lime
- 1 small chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- handful of leafy greens
- 2 tbsp sweet mustard
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine maple syrup, tamari, olive oil, garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Place tempeh slices on a baking tray and brush both sides with the marinade. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning them over once halfway through baking time.
- Meanwhile slice the bread rolls, spread one spoon of (sweet) mustard on the top half of each, half of an avocado with a squeeze of lime juice on the bottom half. Add tomatoes, chili, leafy greens and the warm and crispy tempeh slices too. Enjoy!