Very addicting and very creamy vegan queso sauce recipe ♥︎
Velvety, cheesy and slightly spicy vegan queso sauce is just everything you can wish for. It’s a wonderful savoury dip that happens to be super versatile: perfect for dipping tortilla chips, potato wedges and veggie sticks, great as a pasta sauce, burrito filling or you know, to eat it with a spoon…just as it is.
There are just about 1000 amazing vegan cheesy sauce recipes which I like or which I have pinned and wanna try, but this one is one of my favourites. I love cauliflower sauces, potato sauces (especially since I discovered this great trick to use sweet potatoes) and milk+tapioca flour ones. They are all great low fat options and easy to make, but you still have to cook them a little bit (and peel the potatoes, etc.). However, cashew sauces take just about 5 minutes to make, if have soaked your nuts or have a good blender. And even if you forget to do so, you can just cook the cashews for 5-10 minutes and they are perfectly soft – I do this all the time.
I have to tell you that I won the lottery with my boyfriend. When we met about 5 years ago, he was a crazy meat fan, all he ate was frozen pizza, weird canned food and everything from McDonald’s or Burger King. Though he always says he wasn’t as crazy as I say, I definitely haven’t met anybody else before who ate that much junk food. I remember I told him once I want a salad and I was totally shocked when he was able to make one. Wow, he knew what were vegetables! Then as time went by and we moved together he slowly changed. He started to eat more and more veggies, he appreciated home cooked meals and he even started to cook vegan meals. Nowadays he cooks very well, drinks his spirulina smoothies every morning, looks for great vegan restaurants and meals, and talks about quinoa and dairy alternatives with his family. And he loves plant cheeses! Though he is sometimes raising eyebrows when I say zucchini or cauliflower cheese, cashew cheese sauce is something he looooves (who doesn’t, right?). I really did not plan to post this recipe. But then I realised that this is such a staple recipe in our lives. I have to share it. Such a boyfriend pleaser.
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 onion
- ½ bell pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 1 cup of cashews
- ⅓ cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 cup of vegetable broth or water or plant milk
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt, pepper
- Drain black beans, and dice onion and bell pepper. Warm olive oil (or 2 tablespoons of water) in a skillet over medium heat and add onion, bell pepper, beans and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- In a blender, combine the rest of the ingredients with half of the cooked bean mixture. Blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a pot with the other half of the bean mixture, mix well and cook on medium-low heat until warmed through. Pour it into a bowl to serve. Enjoy!