This classical Hungarian potato pasta called krumplis tészta is a quick, delicious and budget-friendly main dish. It requires only a few simple ingredients and about half an hour. The recipe is super easy to make, so perfect for beginners too. It is just the perfect, filling, vegan comfort food.
I don’t really share with you Hungarian recipes, right? Maybe because I don’t have the best relationship with the Hungarian cuisine. I guess it’s not that I don’t like Hungarian food in general, it’s more about all the bad memories. As a child when we went to eat to a Hungarian restaurant there was a big chance I couldn’t eat anything or had maximum one dish on the menu without meat (deep fried cheese!!!). When somebody invited my family for a traditional dinner it meant gulyás (goulash) with beef or some pork stew. But when we went to an Italian or Greek or Chinese restaurant I had plenty of options. So I concluded that Hungarian food is bad and most of the other nation’s food is good. It took me a couple of years away from home to realise that I actually love a lots of Hungarian dishes. There is definitely not a huge variety of veggie friendly or veganizable meals, but that few which meets my requirements are totally awesome! Like this super easy potato pasta. Which actually happens to be one of my all-time favourite foods!
The pasta is traditionally made with flat square egg noodles, but it works great with any kind of short pasta too. I use sweet Hungarian paprika powder for the recipe, but you can substitute that with any other type (even spicy or smoked). The only must is some pickles and a lots of black pepper. Don’t even make this dish if you don’t have a big jar of pickles ate home!
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 300 g pasta of your choice
- salt, pepper
- pickles to serve
- Chop onion and garlic very finely and sauté them on oil or in water until translucent.
- Cut potatoes into very small cubes and add to the sautéed onion with paprika powder.
- Stir for a few seconds, then pour in water to cover potatoes. Cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare your pasta according to package instructions.
- Once potatoes are totally soft and the water is almost completely evaporated, mash potatoes roughly with a fork. Season with salt and a lots of pepper.
- Stir pasta into the potato mixture and serve warm with pickles. Enjoy!
I make the potatoes relatively dry, but some like the dish with more water (or oil). So adjust the consistency at the end.