These mediterranean mashed potatoes are the cooler version of the classical side dish. Grilled cherry tomatoes, sweet potatoes, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil make this recipe so good and rich. It is a perfect side dish, if you feel like serving something fancy, or you can eat it as a main dish with a side salad too.
I don’t know about you, but I’m crazy for mashed potatoes. I can eat them warm or cold, with or without dairy, I don’t care, bring to me all! Seriously! It is just so heartwarming as the mashed potatoes melt in your mouth…
I love potatoes in any form and shape. Sweet potatoes or regular ones, all perfect for me. The good old baked ones or some Hasselback potatoes or a simple potato soup and even potato chips are all on my favourites list. Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food! The only problem that they can sometimes take a bit long to make, even up to an hour. But not mashed potatoes! 20 minutes and they are ready and Evi is happy!
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- ½ cup of plant milk
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes
- handful of fresh basil
- handful of arugula/rocket
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil (I used the oil of the dried tomatoes)
- handful of pine nuts
- salt, pepper, chili
- cherry tomatoes
- Peel the potatoes and sweet potatoes and cut them into small pieces. Add to a sauce pan, cover with cold water and bring to boil. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 200°C. Place the cherry tomatoes on a baking tray, you can season with salt and pepper, you can drizzle some olive oil or maple syrup on top. I kept my tomatoes unseasoned. Bake them for about 10 minutes.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes, the basil and rocket into very small pieces. You can also use a food processor for this.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain the water and transfer to a large bowl. Add milk, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, rocket, crushed garlic, olive oil, chili, salt and pepper. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth. Serve warm with the grilled tomatoes and pine nuts on top. Enjoy!