Greek style Mediterranean Orzo Salad makes a quick and easy summer meal.
This delicious and colourful vegan salad is herby, tangy and super satisfying, and it makes a fresh and light, yet filling, no-fuss summer meal. Mediterranean Orzo Salad is also simple and easy to make (ready in 20 minutes), and keeps well in the fridge for a few days (yay for leftovers!). Packed with amazing textures and flavours, this salad is also perfect to serve a crowd or to take with you for lovely summer picnics and potlucks.
Since the warmer weather finally arrived to Hamburg, all I want to eat is salads. In these summer days I enjoy occasionally light green salads, but usually I prefer something that’s a bit more satiating. I really love quinoa, rice and pasta salads, and my new love nowadays is orzo. This small, rice-like pasta is such a great cheap and filling addition to any salad. Especially when it’s tossed with summer veggies and a creamy lemony-herby dressings. Yum!
If you avoid gluten, simply use any of your favourite GF pasta here (a smaller type would work better), but quinoa, rice, millet or buckwheat would be delicious too. Plus as usual, this salad is totally customisable, so feel free to add or take whatever veggies and herbs you like (basil and artichokes are crazy good here). Or make it more “Greek” by adding some vegan feta cheese.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1,5 cup of orzo
- 1 cup of roasted bell pepper
- 1 cup of kalamata olives
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups of fresh parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Prepare orzo according to package instructions. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Cut bell peppers into small pieces, halve cherry tomatoes and slice thinly cucumber and onion. Add them to cold orzo with the olives.
- For the dressing add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Add a little bit of water if too thick.
- Add dressing to the bowl and toss gently to combine. Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy!