This Vegan Chickpea Burger with walnuts and mushrooms is simply awesome!
Hearty, meaty, smoky and full of awesome textures, this vegan chickpea burger is the bomb! These babies are super easy to make, all you need is a food processor (or some patience to chop and mash) and a non-stick pan, plus a few simple ingredients. These patties are perfect for a super filling and satiating burger, or if you want to ditch the buns they are also great with a big bowl of salad. Seriously guys, it’s a MUST-TRY recipe!
I really love veggie burgers, but I’ve been wanting to create a recipe for a very long time that’s not just a veggie burger and that’s hearty enough to please even meat-eaters. You see, when I think of a good burger, I think of beans, veggies, nuts and lots of fresh herbs, but I know that for many those aren’t real enough. Luckily if you are one of those who prefer meatier and more substantial patties, there are a few great brands out there with sometimes scarily real burgers. Or you can use store-bought vegan meat or TVP and mix those with a bit of vital wheat gluten. However if you prefer to make your own burgers from scratch, this recipe is just what you need.
I find that chickpeas and walnuts work best here, but you can experiment with other legumes and nuts of course. You might need to adjust the amount of vital wheat gluten then. I like my burgers slightly spicy and smoky, but the seasoning is totally up to you here as well. But don’t forget to serve the burgers with salad or fries!
Let’s eat epic vegan chickpea burgers!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1 can of chickpeas
- ½ cup of walnuts
- 3 tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp dried mushroom powder
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt, pepper
- 4 burger buns
- 4 slices of vegan cheese
- 1 beefsteak tomato
- 1 cup of mixed greens
- condiments of your choice
- Add drained chickpeas, walnuts, roughly chopped onion and garlic cloves, tomato puree, liquid smoke, mushroom powder, basil and spices to a food processor and pulse until combined, but not totally smooth. You want to retain some texture.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add vital wheat gluten. Mix well to combine and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet and add the patties. Cook each side at medium heat for 5-5 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Assemble your burgers however you like. I used mayo and mustard on the bottom, then added the patty, cheese, thinly sliced tomato and mixed greens, and ketchup on the top bun. Serve immediately. Enjoy!