This no-bake vegan chocolate and chickpea cake is a quick, simple and healthy dessert.
You heard it well, friends. Chocolate and chickpea. But don’t worry, this cake doesn’t taste like hummus. This combination may sound crazy at first, but believe me, the chickpeas here only give a wonderful, rich and creamy texture and no weird aftertaste. This oil-free, gluten-free and vegan cake is luxurious, velvety and extra chocolaty. It’s pure indulgence, and simplicity at its finest.
So here we are, I turned 27 last week (yeeeeeeah, happy birthday to me!), and oddly I had a birthday cake. It’s really unusual for me, I haven’t had one for years. Or I only had savoury ones. You know, not having a sweet tooth won’t just change for one day…..even if that day is your birthday.
However this year I craved something sweet and delicious. And super chocolaty!
Since I absolutely suck at baking (plus because it was extremely hot here the last days), I didn’t want to turn on my oven. First I thought of making a raw chocolate cake, but I never really have success with those ones. I find that without a 600$ blender you can do whatever you want, your cream cheese is never going to be perfectly smooth.
So I needed something that could be just as creamy as those cashew cream cheeses. I was playing with the idea of sweet bean creams for a while and it was time to test it finally. Let me just say, it turned out better than I have ever expected. The chocolaty chickpea filling is so creamy, decadent and gives such an amazing texture (and protein, of course) to this cake, it’s almost unbelievable.
Oh, and did I mention, that this cake takes just about 15 minutes to prepare, is totally budget-friendly and you only need 7 ingredients for it!? Plus it’s totally customisable, so feel free to play with the recipe. Try to add cinnamon, mint, cardamom, ginger, maca, and orange zest or juice, or even nuts, fresh or dried berries, or good quality chocolate chip would be wonderful here. So just enjoy your not baking with this sweet and delicious chocolate and chickpea cake!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- ½ cup of oats
- ½ cup of nuts (almond, walnut, cashew...)
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 can of chickpeas (preferably low sodium)
- 1 extra ripe banana
- 1,5 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup
- goji berries, cacao nibs or fresh berries to decorate
- Add nuts and oats to your food processor and pulse into powder. Add dates, maple syrup and vanilla extract and process until you get a dough which sticks together.
- Press dough into a pie dish or a springform cake pan (I used a 20 cm/8 inch pie form) and put in fridge until you prepare the filling.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas very well, then add to the food processor with banana and cacao powder. Blend until completely smooth. Adjust sweetness with maple syrup.
- Pour onto your crust and let it set for a few hours in the fridge. You can also keep it in the freezer until serving. Decorate with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!