No-Bake Coconut Orange Quinoa Cake is a quick and simple recipe with just a few basic ingredients.
This delicious and healthy no-bake coconut orange quinoa cake is vegan, gluten-free and totally guilt-free. Made with no flour, the base of this cake is made of oats and coconut, then it’s loaded with a creamy and rich sweet orange quinoa filling to make a wonderfully satisfying dessert. Plus it’s also super simple and easy to prepare, so perfect for all of us, not-so-talented-in-baking-people.
I could write a really really long post about how a friend of mine accidentally overcooked a big batch of quinoa, I laughed at her so hard, then a few weeks later I managed to cook the exact same messed up mush, because, you know…..cute cat videos don’t allow you to stay focused. I could also write very long about how I talked down to her when she asked for a recipe idea with overcooked quinoa, because why can’t she simply throw it away, then when it happened to me I realised it’s really heartbreaking to throw away a whole pot of that crazy expensive nutrient richness, just coz it’s not perfectly fluffy. Yes, I could write a lot about it. But I won’t
(or did I just do?).
Anyways, the moral of this
no story is that if you are as easily distracted by cute cats as I am, buy finally a kitchen timer. Or for God’s sake, use your phone at least! Luckily at the end all that matters is that this cake is a genius overcooked or leftover quinoa saver, as well as a pretty little protein and fibre bomb. And of course, totally delicious!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 10 dates, preferably soaked in water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup of oats
- ⅓ cup of shredded coconut
- 2 cups of slightly overcooked quinoa (about 0.5 cup dry quinoa)
- 1 orange, juice + zest
- 2 tbsp coconut yogurt or milk (optional)
- 0.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp sweetener of your choice (I like maple syrup or coconut sugar)
- Orange slices
- Coconut meat or coconut flakes
- Add dates, maple syrup, oats and coconut to a food processor, and process into a sticky, crumbly mixture. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water or more maple syrup if necessary.
- Press into a springform pan (I used a 18 cm/7 inch pan). Set aside.
- Add quinoa, orange juice and zest, yogurt, vanilla extract and sweetener of your choice to a blender or food processor, and blend into a smooth consistency. Adjust sweetness to your taste.
- Transfer the mixture into the pan over the crust.
- Place the pan in the fridge and allow it to set for 2-3 hours or overnight. Then simply remove from the pan, and decorate with orange slices and coconut. Enjoy!