Pomegranate seeds, mint, basil and black sesame seeds come together in this delicious sweet and tangy relish. It is a very quick and simple recipe, but it makes a lovely accompaniment to so many dishes. It takes any tofu or seitan steak to a whole new level, it makes any boring sandwich a totally satisfying snack and any salad or side dish taste like heaven with a bit of this relish. And let’s not forget that any food looks so much more prettier served with this bright relish.
This relish is an absolute winner. It is true simplicity itself, but it doesn’t mean boring or stupid or lifeless. Oh no! Its tart and fresh sweetness and beautiful vibrant colour makes it special and festive. This relish can be a charming vegan condiment on any Thanksgiving or Christmas table. I haven’t planned our Christmas menu at all yet, but I am pretty sure this relish is gonna be a part of it. Because I LOVE it!!!
And what to do with this super cool relish?
- Put it on salads! Like I did last time with this quinoa, mixed greens, avocado and roasted squash salad. It’s also delicious on any simple green salad, kale salad, lentil or bean salad, herb salad, spiralized zucchini or grain salad.
- Pair with tofu, tempeh or seitan steaks! Or with cooked, roasted and stuffed vegetables.
- Serve any soup with the relish on top! I like to add a generous portion to my pumpkin soups, asparagus soups or any cold soup.
- Decorate any dish with it! Because pomegranate seeds really make everything look better.
- Add to your favourite tacos or burritos! Or cabbage bowls, falafel sandwiches, spring rolls and wraps.
- Top your toast with it! Because if it’s possible to make avocado or hummus toast any better, it can only happen with this relish.
- Spice up your favourite potato dish with it! Regular, purple or sweet potatoes are always better with this relish. Hasselback potatoes make the perfect festive side dish with this relish.
- Mix into any sauce or dressing! Because it makes plain old soy yogurt or tahini way better.
- Grab a spoon and enjoy! What else to say?
- 1 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 small shallot
- 1 lime, juice+zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- salt, pepper
- Chop shallot, mint and basil leaves very finely and add to a bowl with pomegranate seeds, lime juice and a bit of zest, olive oil, maple syrup, sesame seeds, salt and pepper.
- Mix well together. Enjoy!