Delicious stretchy, melty, gooey, stringy and extra cheesy vegan fondue.
This quick and easy vegan fondue recipe is exactly what you need to throw an epic fondue party. It melts and stretches just like the good ol’ Swiss cheese one and tastes phenomenal. It takes just about 15 minutes to make this creamy, yet hearty cheesy deliciousness, so you can make it any weeknight as a quick snack or an indulgent main dish. Then the next day the leftover cold fondue can be used as a pasta sauce or a cheesy dipping sauce for veggies or tortilla chips.
Oh no….am I just breaking all the food blogger rules by posting this recipe first thing in January? Shouldn’t I post a light salad recipe or something about my secret weight loss tips?
If you are one of those who are still keeping their new year’s resolutions, please close your eyes and save this recipe for later,
until you break those stupid resolutions. But if you are like me and already gave up on even making such promises to yourself, then you’ll really love this recipe. Especially if you are an ex-cheeseaholic like me.
I really love vegan cheesy things and vegan fondue is one of my favourites. Usually I just melt together my favourite cheeses (I like Simply V, Wilmersburger and No-Muh-Chäs) and cream cheeses (Simply V or Soyananda) with a bit of wine and garlic….oh, heaven! But to be honest it took me a while until I found the right cheeses for this purpose and I know that for most of you these brands are probably unavailable, depending on where you live. So I really wanted to make a recipe that’s going to work for everybody, without using store-bought cheeses.
But of course you can add some vegan cheese or cream cheese to the fondue, I’d say go for something that’s a bit more flavourful and sharp. Both homemade and store-bought cheeses would be lovely. White wine is what gives this melt that classic fondue taste, but if you don’t want to use it, grape juice, apple cider vinegar, veggie broth or a mixture of those can be a great substitute for the wine.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1 cup of cashews (soaked)
- 5 tbsp tapioca starch
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast (or more!)
- ½ cup of plant-based heavy cream (I like to use spelt or soy cream)
- ½ cup of white wine
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp white miso
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- pinch of turmeric (optional, but gives a lovely yellow colour)
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic (optional)
- kalamata olives
- Add fondue ingredients (except garlic) to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Add mixture to a pot and start to cook on low heat, stirring frequently.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until fondue thickens and becomes stretchy.
- Meanwhile cut bread, apple, pear, etc. into bite size pieces.
- Rub the inside of a fondue pot with the garlic, then transfer the warm fondue to the pot.
- Serve immediately with the dipping foods on the side. Enjoy!