5-minute super easy and quick pickled green tomatoes.
Are your tomato plants still covered in unripe fruit? Cool! I have then a great idea for you. I can guarantee you that these sweet, spicy and tangy pickled green tomatoes will be your new favourite snack. They are crunchy and soft at the same time, they are delicious with crackers or vegan cheese, make a surprisingly cool topping for salads and pastas, and most importantly they go super great with beer and wine. Plus the recipe is ridiculously simple and easy with only a few basic ingredients and less than 5 minutes of cooking.
Since the last 1-2 months we didn’t get a lots of sunshine here in Northern Germany, I was left with a fairly good amount of unripe cherry tomatoes. I’ve tried a few methods to ripen them in dark places, as some of you’ve suggested me on Instagram, but unfortunately nothing helped. Okay, it’s actually not that unfortunate, because green tomatoes are pretty awesome too.
I’ve made a delicious salsa of them, a classic ‘fried’ green tomato salad, and an Aloo Gobi style dish with potatoes and cauliflower, but the best of all the green tomato creations was definitely this quick pickled one! Not just because it’s super simple and quick to make, but also because it makes everything better. Seriously. Though to be honest we didn’t get the chance to try these tomatoes incorporated in too many dishes, since we mainly ate them straight out of the jar…
For this recipes I used my trusty little quick pickling method, now with a bit more spices and most importantly with some chili pepper for a pleasant heat. However, as always, be creative with the recipe and try it with your personal favourite spice mix, you can’t really go wrong with this. I haven’t tried to preserve these, because the amount of green tomatoes I had was just enough to satisfy us for a week or two, so please let me know if you try some preserving technics and how they’ve turned out! So exciting!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 2 cups of green cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 0,5 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp of your favourite spices (I used mustard and coriander seeds, allspice, dill, chili, juniper berries and bay leaves)
- salt, pepper
- Add vinegar, water, maple, spices, salt and pepper to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until salt dissolves.
- Add halved green tomatoes to the sauce pan too. Cook them together for 2-3 more minutes then transfer to a glass jar. Make sure the liquid covers the tomatoes. Set aside for at least an hour before serving.
- Tomatoes will keep for 3-4 weeks in the fridge. Drain them before serving. Enjoy!