Vegan comfort food at its best: Rice + roasted potato & bean bowl with aubergine bacon.
That’s what I call carb and veggie lovers comfort food! This bowl has everything you can wish for. Smoky eggplant bacon, chewy brown rice, crispy potato cubes, soft beans, creamy tahini dressing with a touch of freshness from the cilantro. Though it’s not a 5 minute recipe, it’s still super simple to make, especially if you are using leftover rice or potatoes.
It is going to be a very quick post today….featuring busy girls leftover magic. It’s all I have time for nowadays. After endless hours of grocery shopping, cooking and photographing I have very little energy to make anything other than a bowl of delicious leftovers. If I want to be honest, that is anyway my favourite way of cooking/eating. I feel the most creative when I make something tasty out of boring uneaten food and some lonely ingredients from the bottom of my fridge. Not that I don’t love the fresh and beautiful produce from the farmer’s markets, it’s just not too challenging to make delicious food that way…. Anyhow, leftovers or not, this bowl is extremely satisfying, with all the different textures and flavours in each bite. This bowl is pure heaven on a cold weekday.
- 1 aubergine
- 4-5 medium potatoes
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can of jack beans (or beans of your choice)
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1,5 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 lime, juice
- handful of fresh cilantro
- salt, pepper
- Cut aubergine half lengthwise, then slice into thin slices (3 mm/0.1 inch). In a bowl mix together water, vinegar, liquid smoke, maple syrup, olive oil, soy sauce, a pinch of salt and pepper and add aubergine slices. Stir around so the slices are well coated. Let it marinade until you prepare everything else.
- Cut potatoes into small cubes and place on a baking tray. Sprinkle garlic powder and salt on the cubes and bake for about 30 minutes at 200°C/400°F until golden brown.
- Add rice and 2 cups of water to a pot, season with salt and cook for 30-40 minutes or until soft.
- For the dressing whisk together tahini, lime juice and enough water to get a thin tahini sauce.
- Add aubergine slices and a few tablespoons of the marinade to a hot nonstick pan in a single layer and cook both sides for 5 minutes until marinade cooks off. Do it in batches if you work with a smaller pan.
- Assemble bowls. Add rice, potato cubes, aubergine bacon, drained and rinsed beans and onion slices to each bowl. Serve warm with the tahini dressing and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!