Flavorful Russian Style Quinoa Salad with some of my favorite winter vegetables.
A delicious Russian Style Quinoa Salad with beetroot, carrot, kale, pickles, sauerkraut, walnuts and heaps of fresh dill. This easy-to-make salad is nutritious and comforting, and also budget-friendly, thanks to all the winter goodies. Full with amazing flavors and textures, it’s an awesome recipe to boost your vitamin levels these gloomy days.
Happy New Year, friends! I hope you all enjoyed the holidays!
I spent this Christmas with my BF and family in Hungary, it was really awesome. Pretty relaxing to be honest, I could finally cuddle with my dog and cat for hours…yes, that was all I needed after last year. We had a crazy amount of delicious food, my family became quite an expert at plant-based cooking. I’m so proud of them!
For Christmas Eve (besides 56231631 other dishes) my mom made a Russian style salad, which I’ve fallen in love with immediately. Earthy beets, sweet carrots, sour fermented deliciousness, soft, steamed potatoes, fresh dill, tangy dressing- what not to love on this, right?
For my version I used quinoa instead of potatoes, plus added some fresh dill, kale and toasted walnuts for extra flavor. I know, I know, this recipe is probably nothing like the original Russian version, but that’s life. You can play around with the ingredients and quantities here, use more sauerkraut or pickles if you prefer a tangier salad or add more carrots, beets or potatoes, for a more savory version. Either way, I hope you’ll try the recipe, I’m sure you’ll like it!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- ½ cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of diced carrot
- 1 cup of diced beetroot
- 1 cup of chopped kale
- 1 cup of chopped sauerkraut
- ⅔ cup of diced pickles
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- ⅔ cup of toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp mustard
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp sweet paprika powder
- salt, pepper
- Add quinoa, diced carrots and beets with slightly salted water to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until quinoa is ready. Let cool a bit then add to a big salad bowl.
- Meanwhile prepare kale, sauerkraut, pickles, dill and walnuts, then add to the bowl too.
- For the dressing whisk together lemon juice, mustard, maple syrup and paprika powder, and season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Serve immediately or chilled with a dollop of cashew sour cream. Enjoy!