Quick and easy, creamy savoy cabbage salad with caramelised king oyster mushrooms.
Some of autumn’s best produce come together in this very simple savoy cabbage salad with a creamy, salty and tangy cashew miso dressing, and caramelised king oyster mushroom bits. This salad is light and very easy to make, yet absolutely satisfying and filling. It’s perfect for this time of the year, when you want something more satiating than a basic, green salad, but you still want a healthier option. This savoy cabbage salad makes a lovely, simple lunch with a slice of toast, or it’s a great side to any of your favourite autumnal main dishes. Especially good with pies or tarts, seitan roasts or baked and roasted veggies.
I am really glad that it’s finally autumn again. I know, it’s super lame, but nothing makes me happier, than walking in the cold weather, wearing my big scarfs and sweatshirts, watching the leaves turning into colourful beauties, and seeing all the wonderful fall produce in supermarkets and farmer’s markets. All the different cabbage types, squashes, apples, all so delicious! And cheap of course. Love it!
Autumn has been always my favourite season. When I was small, I loved that the school started again, that I could meet all my friends again, and that it was almost Christmas. When I was in high school, it was the time, when everybody went home right after school, cause it was cold and grey, and we just walked around in the city for endless hours with my best friend, talking about how lame are the others for not enjoying fall. Nowadays I feel I’m the most productive these days, I feel especially creative and inspired when I look out of the window. No idea why, I just really love this weather. And as I said, I looooooove autumn foods. I wish I could say I’ve collected these mushrooms as a lovely autumn activity, but I’m not that cool unfortunately.
Anyways, this salad is still pretty awesome, so if you’re into fall you should definitely make it! As always, feel free to make it with other cabbage or mushroom types, or use sunflower seeds, walnuts or pine nuts instead of cashews. Happy fall, lovely people!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1 small head of savoy cabbage
- 250 g/ 8.8 oz king oyster mushrooms
- ½ cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- ½ tsp fresh oregano
- 1 cup of cashews, preferably soaked
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh herbs of your choice (I used basil, dill and parsley)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Cut mushrooms into smaller pieces. Add mushrooms and broth to a pan and cook for 10-15 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix together vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup and herbs, then add to the mushrooms, and cook for 5 more minutes over high heat, until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile chop cabbage and add to a big bowl.
- For the dressing add ingredients to the blender and process until creamy. Add a few tablespoons of water if needed. Add dressing to chopped cabbage and mix well together.
- Serve salad with the warm mushroom pieces. Enjoy!