Simple vegan pita pizzas loaded with olives, zucchini, smoked tofu and peperoncino.
It’s again a recipe that doesn’t really need any description. Hey, it’s PIZZA! What else should I say? Right? But if you have never come across pita pizzas before, your life is about to change. Pita pizzas are the perfect lazy options for all of us, sometimes-not-that-motivated-in-the-kitchen-people. These pita pizzas are ready before you could order any pizza, but they taste so good! Super satisfying right out of the oven, but of course, just like any good pizza, it’s great cold too. Plus they make a great snack and party food, and though I don’t have kids, I’m pretty sure it’s the type of food every kids would love to have.
Pizza is one of our favourite weekend food. If you follow me on Instagram, you could have noticed, that most of our weekday dinners are lighter soups, salads or quick pastas and veggies bowls, but on the weekends we eat all the pizzas, burgers, fries and make every possible comfort food. It’s also the time, when we eat out a lot and order whatever vegan ‘junk’ food we feel like. These are our lazy days and we love to indulge in delicious food and sometimes even do absolutely nothing (other than watching Netflix). Shamelessly, almost proudly.
There was a time, not even long time ago, when weekends meant going out, and staying at home seemed like a punishment. But not anymore, we got old and boring. To be honest partying became one of the biggest chores for me and just the thought of staying up past 2 AM is pretty much a nightmare for me. Yeeees, I know, super lame. But times have changed, my friends, times have changed. But it’s maybe a change for the better. Because two words: pizza weekends. What could be cooler than that?? No party, for sure!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 6 pitas, I used whole-wheat pitas
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1,5 tsp maple syrup
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large handful of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1,5 tsp dried thyme
- salt, pepper
- 1 cup of olives, halved
- ½ cup of smoked tofu, diced
- 10-12 pickled peperoncino, sliced
- ½ zucchini, thinly sliced or shaved
- 3 tbsp vegan parmesan
- fresh basil
- Prepare toppings. Dice tofu, slice peperoncino, halve olives and shave zucchini.
- Combine ingredients for the tomato sauce in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the pitas on a baking sheet and spread tomato sauce on top. Scatter the olives, tofu, peperoncino and shaved zucchini over the pitas.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 200°C/400°F. Serve with vegan parmesan and fresh basil on top. Enjoy!