This delicious vegan spiced cauliflower and quinoa salad is every healthy eater’s dream.
Why? Because it’s full of vitamins, minerals and protein, yet it doesn’t taste like a boring healthy salad. This salad is a toss together of delicious, earthy black quinoa, fragrant toasted hazelnuts, crunchy bell peppers, fresh arugula and spicy, roasted cauliflower bits. The cauliflower florets are coated with cocoa and chili, which is probably the best thing that can happen to cauliflower.
The combination of cauliflower, cocoa and chili may sound a bit odd first, but believe me, it doesn’t taste like chocolate cauliflower. Oh no! The cocoa gives the cauliflower a rich, deep flavour, and the chili gives it that extra, spicy kick. You know that I’m not the best at describing food, so you just have to trust me, it’s amazing. You will never look at cauliflower the same way again.
P.S. Have you seen this interview with me at FoodyDirect? I’ve talked a bit about Hungarian foods, my vegan diet and my photography tips…check it out 😉
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- ½ cup of black quinoa
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- 1 red onion
- 1 bell pepper
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts
- 2 cups of arugula
- 1 tbsp cashew butter (or use almond butter, sunflower seed butter or tahini)
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- salt, pepper
- Break cauliflower into florets and add to a bowl with vinegar, chili powder, cocoa and salt and toss to coat. Spread cauliflower in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 200°C/400ºF for 35-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook quinoa in slightly salted water. Let cool a bit.
- For the dressing combine cashew butter, lemon juice, vinegar and mustard. Add a few tablespoons of water if too thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice red onion, dice bell pepper and chop hazelnuts roughly. Add them to a big bowl with warm cauliflower florets, quinoa and arugula. Pour dressing over the salad and mix well. Enjoy!