Spinach and caramelised onion pasta with walnut cream sauce and sage.
Tender, sweet onions, fresh spinach, crunchy, toasted walnuts, fragrant sage, and a creamy miso-walnut sauce come together in this flavour and texture-packed pasta. This vegan and oil-free dish is simple and quick to make, but trust me, your mouth will be watering as you cook this stuff (tell me I’m not the only one who could die for the smell of cooked onions). It’s perfect for week night dinners when you wan’t something little more special than the usual tomato sauce pasta, and it’s also delicious cold, so you can take the leftover with you the next day to work.
To be honest I rarely post a recipe, which I haven’t tested at least twice, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never posted a recipe, which I’ve just made about an hour ago, but guys, this pasta I had for lunch today is so amazingly awesome, I couldn’t wait and had to share with you right away. Okay, there is nothing groundbreaking in this recipe, the combination of walnuts, caramelised onions and sage is a pretty popular one, but still, it’s so so so good. And I know you’ll love this!
It’s actually also the celebration of my newly gained skill which is caramelising onions. This was the 5th time in a row that I made perfect sweet little onions without burning them, which means now I’m officially an expert, right? Yeah! Up until a few weeks ago it was always my boyfriend’s task to make these babies for me, because my level of patience is nearly zero. And the key to make superb caramelised onions and of course delicious caramelised onion pasta is definitely patience. So try to cook the onions as long as you can possibly stand it. And don’t turn the stove top to the highest temperature hoping the onions will cook faster. They won’t. They’ll burn. And learn to be more patient in life. I mean in general….You see, you thought I only have a recipe for you today, but you also got important life lessons from me. Isn’t it just cool?
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 350 g/12 oz pasta of your choice (I used a GF fusilli)
- 4 large onions
- 3 cups of fresh spinach
- handful of chopped toasted walnuts
- ½ cup of walnuts
- 1,5 tsp white miso paste
- 1,5 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile add walnuts, miso, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, sage and pepper to a blender with about ½ cup of water and blend until completely smooth.
- Slice onions thinly. Place them in a saucepan and sauté over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until they turn brown and translucent. Stir frequently and add 1-2 tablespoons of water at a time to prevent sticking. You can also use 1-2 tablespoons of vegan butter if you prefer.
- Add spinach, walnut cream and drained pasta and stir well to combine. Cook for one more minute and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with toasted walnuts on top. Enjoy!