Probably the world’s best vegan Carrot Hot Dog recipe.
It’s unbelievable, but these carrot hot dogs taste pretty much like the real thing. They are smoky, savory, spicy, slightly sweet, and have the perfect, snappy texture. This vegan and oil-free version is a much healthier and cheaper option than mock meats, plus it’s easy to make, with only a few simple ingredients. Serve these in a bun with all sort of deliciousness on top, or simply slice the carrot hot dogs and use as a topping for salads and sandwiches.
Carrot hot dogs are super trendy at the moment. No wonder, they taste seriously good and are seriously easy to make. I’ve been sitting on this recipe for over two years now (I REALLY hated the pictures), so I’m really glad I can finally post it. Besides pizza it’s my go-to recipe whenever I crave junk food…yes….I love these a lot! And I’m sure you’ll love these too. So if you’ve somehow, miraculously not tried carrot hot dogs yet, you have to make them ASAP!
There’s really not much to say about this recipe, it’s really a fool-proof one. The only thing to remember is that the longer you marinate these babies, the more flavorful they get. Use a light soy sauce or reduce the amount in the marinade, if you want to keep your carrot dogs nice and orange (I don’t mind the darker color). And don’t forget: carrot hot dog is delicious, but it’s nothing without all the awesome toppings and condiments. So if you want a seriously epic hot dog, don’t be shy and get creative with those toppings.
Here are some of my favorite combos:
- Jalapenos, black beans, corn, salsa
- Pickles, fried onions, vegan cheese, mustard
- Shredded carrot, peanuts, scallion, cilantro, sesame seeds, Sriracha mayo
- Kale, cherry tomatoes, tofu feta cheese, pine nuts
- Avocado, red onion, jalapeno, salsa, cashew sour cream
- Sautéed greens, edamame, hemp seeds
- Chips, diced tomatoes, bell pepper, hummus, Sriracha
- Mushrooms, sprouts, sun-dried tomatoes, vegan cheese, mustard
- Pulled jackfruit, shredded cabbage, microgreens, tahini
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 6 carrots
- 6 hot dog buns (use GF if needed)
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of soy sauce (or use less to keep the color bright and orange)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp white miso
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- dash of liquid smoke
- salt, pepper
- sautéed greens
- shredded carrot
- bell pepper
- red onion
- sun-dried tomato
- vegan cheese
- sesame seeds
- hemp seeds
- cashew sour cream
- Peel carrots and trim a bit, so they fit the length of your hot dog buns. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan with a little bit of water. Add carrots, cover, and steam for 10-15 minutes, or until tender but still have a snap.
- Meanwhile whisk together marinade ingredients. Transfer carrots to a dish or container. Pour marinade over the carrots, and marinate overnight or for at least 2 hours (the longer the better).
- Heat a grill pan over high heat, and toast buns slightly. Set aside.
- Add carrots to grill pan with a few tablespoons of the marinade and cook each side for 3-4 minutes, until browned and slightly charred.
- Serve immediately on buns with your favorite toppings and condiments. Enjoy!