These Vegan Guacamole Stuffed Rolls are probably the coolest finger food ever.
Close your eyes if you are looking for an extra healthy recipe, because these delicious savoury puff pastry rolls filled with a creamy and spicy avocado, zucchini and cashew cream are clearly not that type. These guacamole stuffed rolls are extra indulgent and probably not very diet friendly, but I’m sure you’ll love these a lot still. Guacamole stuffed rolls (or horns) are super simple to make and they are totally customisable – stuff them with hummus, your favourite vegan cream cheese, pesto or garlicky spinach, if you are not into guac. They make a great party snack, picnic food or grab-and-go lunch, though they are also lovely as a quick dinner with a big green salad.
Today’s recipe was inspired (yet again) by another Hungarian food, Sajtos Roló aka cheesy rolls. In the traditional version they use a buttery pastry for the rolls and then they fill them with a butter, cream cheese, egg, heavy cream and shredded cheese mixture, so that at the end they can roll them in more shredded cheese again. Since I never liked those type of fillings, I personally prefer this guacamole stuffing, but if you wanna try a more traditional version, use a mixture of vegan butter or margarine, and vegan cream cheese as the filling.
If you own a cream horn mold or some kind of roll mold use those, but since I don’t have anything like this, I just made some out of tin foil. I took two empty tin foil rolls (the thin roll with very thick paper would work best), and wet them a bit. Then cut them into 4 pieces each and tightly wrapped them in tin foil. You might need to brush these ‘molds’ with oil, so the rolls are easier to remove. If you don’t have any empty paper rolls at home, you might find some wooden or metal spoons or small bottles that you can use instead.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (make sure it's vegan)
- 2 tbsp plant milk
- 1 pinch turmeric
- ⅔ cup cashews, soaked
- 1 zucchini
- 1 avocado
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tsp fresh, chopped chili pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 scallions
- salt, pepper
- Cut puff pastry into 8 strips and roll each strip on a roll or cream horn mold*, following the shape of the molds. Mix together milk and turmeric and brush the rolls with this mixture, so they get a nice, yellow colour.
- Bake puff pastry rolls at 200°C/400℉ for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely, then remove the molds.
- Meanwhile add cashews, diced zucchini, garlic and lemon juice to a food processor or blender, and processor until completely smooth. This might take a few minutes, so be patient. Once the mixture is smooth and creamy, add diced avocado, chopped chili pepper, chives and scallion, season with salt and pepper, and pulse a few times.
- Pour the mixture into a piping bag and pipe the mixture into the puff pastry rolls. You can also dip the edges into chives, chili, lemon zest or some vegan cheese. Enjoy!