Do you love cheese? Well, look what we have here – this wonderful walnut and herb cheese! Yes, walnut and herb VEGAN cheese! Yes, it’s plant-based, delicious and so satisfying! Also super easy to make and it only requires a few simple ingredients. This recipe is all you need to set up the perfect cheese platter.
Doesn’t this just look fantastic? And just like real cheese? It definitely tastes like one! The cheese itself has a very cheesy consistency (thanks to the tapioca and the agar agar) and a very neutral taste, which works perfectly with the walnut pieces and the herb coat. But you can make it cheesier too, just add more nutritional yeast. So simple.
The idea of this cheese comes from my beloved Artisan Vegan Cheese book. I’ve talked about this book before and I surely will again, because it’s just the best thing that could happen to a cheese lover, like I am. Miyoko Schinner is often using agar agar and tapioca flour in her recipes achieving the perfect cheese consistency. Her recipes are all amazing, the only problem she uses rejuvelac in her recipes. Which takes a few days to make. But when I’m craving cheese I can’t wait days to make it. I need a recipe just like this one. Lifesaver with its deliciousness! I have to admit I usually eat it just as a snack, but you can also grate and melt the cheese, it works just like the real deal. So good!!!!
- ½ cup of soaked cashews
- 3 tsp agar agar powder
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of unsweetened plant milk of your choice (I used almond milk)
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1-2 tsp salt
- lots of black pepper
- ½ cup of walnuts
- 2-3 tbsp mixed dried herbs*
- Start by toasting walnuts, then chopping them roughly.
- Add soaked cashews, agar agar, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, water, milk, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer to a sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Stir constantly until it will start to form a gooey cheese sauce. It takes 3-5 minutes.
- Cook and stir on for an other 2-5 minutes until it firms up completely.
- Add walnuts to the cheesy mixture and mix in roughly.
- Pour mixture into molds. Place them in fridge to set for about 2 hours.
- Once it set remove cheese from molds and roll in the herbs. Enjoy!