This wheat berry salad is one to die for! It’s delicious warm or cold, it is filling and super satisfying. It makes a perfect side dish and a delightful main.
I love to use wheat berries as a salad base. They are cheap, filling and oh-so-delicious with that slightly nutty taste. I like that they are tender, chewy and totally healthy. In this salad the sweet apple and the fresh parsley make a lovely combination with this amazing whole grain. I don’t even dare to say it once again but it makes the best picnic food!
- 1 cup of wheat berries (soaked overnight)
- 1 large apple
- large bunch of fresh parsley
- 3 celery stalks
- ⅔ cup of almonds
- for the dressing:
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon, juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- salt, pepper, chili
- Cook wheat berries in salted water for about 25-30 minutes.
- While wheat berries are cooking roast almonds. Cut roasted almonds, apple, celery into smaller pieces, chop parsley finely and add to a large bowl.
- For the dressing mix together tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, water and seasoning.
- Drain wheat berries, add to the salad with the dressing and mix everything together. Enjoy!