Baked Spaghetti Squash with creamy tomato sauce, capers and olives.
This delicious baked spaghetti squash recipe with creamy tomato sauce is wholesome and healthy, full of great flavors and textures – it’s an irresistible, easy to make weeknight meal. It’s one of those great gluten-free, oil-free and absolutely guilt-free comfort foods that everybody seems to love. Cashews, fresh basil and sweet cherry tomatoes are the base of this dreamy-creamy sauce, which is then baked to perfection together with those spaghetti like strands, olives and capers. Yum!
Yes, as you can see I’m still in squash/pumpkin fever. Absolutely lame, but I can’t help. In the last weeks I ate probably every day something with a winter squash and I feel like this trend will go on for a few more weeks. One of my favorites (if not the biggest favorite) of all these babies is definitely spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is a super fun and versatile vegetable, that’s also a wonderful, natural gluten-free option. And of course most importantly it’s very very delicious.
Another thing that makes me more excited than I would like to admit is the fact that spaghetti squash makes the cutest bowl ever. You can of course serve it on a plate, but let’s be honest, that ruins all the fun. Not to mention you will have extra dishes to wash…who wants that, right? I prefer nature’s disposable bowls.
Anyways, I hope you’ll try the recipe and enjoy it as much as I do. And in case you need more squash recipes, check out this list with over 100 amazing vegan pumpkin and winter squash recipes.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1 large spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- ½ cup of sliced olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- ½ cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- ½ cup of soaked cashews
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- ¼ cup of nutritional yeast
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp miso
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt, pepper
- Place squash halves cut-sides down on a large baking dish. Pour about half a cup of water into the dish and bake at 200°C/400°F for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Using a fork, scrape squash into strands. Transfer squash strands to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile add sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until completely creamy. Pour ¾ of sauce over squash strands, add olives, capers and halved cherry tomatoes, then mix everything well together.
- Fill squash shells with saucy squash strands, and place back in the oven for 25-30 more minutes. Serve warm, topped with pine nuts and drizzled with rest of the sauce. Enjoy!