Beetroots are definitely one of my favorite veggies. They are packed with anti-oxidants, are amazing source of vitamin A, B6 and C, iron, magnesium, potassium and many more. Plus the earthiness, sweetness….okay, I think I am in love with beets.
Pestos and vegetable spreads are my huge favorites. Quick and easy, you just roughly chop a few ingredients, press a button, and voilà, dinner is ready. And the leftover is great tomorrow for breakfast on your bread, or mixed in your scrambled eggs.
- 4-5 small beetroots
- 1 clove of garlic
- a small handful of sunflower seeds, soaked
- a small handful of pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup of rocket
- 1 cup of basil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ lime
- salt, pepper
- Wash the beetroots. You can use them raw (after peeling), or wrap them in tin foil, bake them in the oven for about an hour in 200°C.
- Once the beetroots cool down, peel and chop them and place in a food processor with the roasted pine nuts, soaked sunflower seeds and all the other ingredients. Blend everything well together.
- Serve as a pasta sauce or spread on bread or use as a dip for veggies. Enjoy!