A quick and easy recipe for Raw Vegan Cashew Mozzarella.
Well, I hate to blow my own trumpet, but I think I’ve just managed to make another super delicious vegan cheese recipe. This raw vegan cashew mozzarella is very easy and quick to make, requires only 4 ingredients and it comes pretty close to the ordinary cheese. It’s great in salads, in sandwiches and you can even put it on your pizza. I’m telling you guys, this cashew mozzarella is a game changer!
I came across the concept of this raw vegan cashew mozzarella just when I went vegan. I’ve just told shyly to a friend’s friend in a pub that I decided to give veganism a try. That time I didn’t know that he was a vegan too, I thought he was simply into healthy eating. I was surprised when I heard that he has been vegan for some years already, since he was never very outspoken about this topic. I remember fully agreeing with him about how annoying pushy vegans are and that veganism is a personal choice and everybody can decide what they wanna eat. It’s so crazy to look back, it wasn’t even that long time ago, but I looked at things totally differently. I definitely see things in another way nowadays. Not just that I don’t find pushy vegans crazy and annoying anymore, I sort of became one of them too. I believe eating animals is not a “personal choice” and I’m not afraid to confront people when they say I should respect their “personal choice”. Being irritating is not a terrifying thought for me anymore, because I am willing to do whatever it takes to save our animal friends. Yep, it can be tough sometimes, but it’s all for a good cause.
Anyways, what I wanted to tell you before this little rambling, is that this vegan guy, who was probably the first vegan I’ve ever met, told me that I have to make this mozzarella. Because it’s the best, especially if you are a cheese lover, as I used to be. The concept of mixing together cashews and psyllium husk is super popular amongst German vegans, so you can find just about thousands of similar recipes of cashew mozzarella. However I had to test this recipe quite a few times before I could finally post my version. In general they were all good, but sometimes had a bit odd texture, other times it wasn’t firm enough or simply wasn’t cheesy enough. But now, finally, I’m very confident about this cheese. It’s just delicious and I hope you’ll like it too!
Check out some of my other cheese recipes:
- Vegan Tofu Feta Cheese
- Simple Raw Cultured Cashew Cheese
- Walnut and Herb Vegan Cheese
- Basic Cashew Cheese with Herbs
- Baked Almond Feta
- Quick and Easy Vegan Fondue
- Cauliflower Cheese Sauce
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 200 g/7 oz cashews, soak them overnight, if you don't have a high speed blender
- 3 tbsp ground psyllium husk
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tsp white miso paste (optional)
- Add psyllium husk to a bowl with 350 ml/12 oz water and mix well. Let it soak for at least an hour, until it's very thick and gel-like.
- Add psyllium husk gel, cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and miso paste (if using) to a blender and blend until a thick and smooth paste forms.
- Transfer this mixture to 3 small glass or ceramic bowls* and place in the fridge for an hour.
- After an hour it should be thick and sliceable. Enjoy!