This apple and onion spread is possibly the cheapest and easiest recipe I have ever shared with you. Only 3 ingredients, a little chopping, an hour of cooking and you get a jar of this healthy sweet and savoury bread spread. It probably doesn’t sound amazing, but believe me when I say spreading caramelised onions and soft apples on a warm slice of bread is one of the most delicious things ever!
95% of the mornings I spread avocado or hummus on my toast, 4% of the times I make kale, mushroom, millet, carrot or bean spreads, but about 3 days a year I buy bread spreads from the store, which are almost always apple and onion spreads (those are very popular here in Germany). I really love those ones, but somehow never thought of making them myself until a few months ago. Somebody asked for super cheap recipes in one of the vegan Facebook groups and a girl said she always cooks together kilos of apples and onions when they are in season then eat them all year around. It didn’t take longer than 10 minutes and I was already in the kitchen chopping onions and apples. The spread tasted amazing and I fell in love in a second. I used less oil than the original recipe, this way I can spread a thick layer on the bread, but you can try the original version with equal parts of oil, onion and apples too. I haven’t tried to preserve it yet, but if you do so, please let me know, I would love to do it too.
This here is a base recipe. Perfectly delicious this way, but also great with other seasonings. Try these:
- mustard or ground mustard seeds
- rosemary, thyme, summer savoury, parsley
- rose pepper, sumak, cumin
- red pepper flakes, Sriracha
- BBQ seasoning, liquid smoke
- dukkah, hemp seeds, black sesame seeds
- nutritional yeast
- 1 cup of shredded apples
- 1 cup of finely chopped onions
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- salt, pepper
- Heat up coconut oil in a large pan.
- Prepare veggies and add them to the pan too. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for about an hour or until apples and onions are very soft and falling apart.
- Keep it chunky or blend it smooth in a blender, then spread it on everything. Enjoy!