This vegan asparagus tart with strawberry salsa is a must in asparagus season.
A lovely asparagus tart with a creamy, lemony and ‘cheesy’ bean base that’s quick and easy to make and tastes scrumptious cold or warm, especially with the sweet strawberry salsa on top. This recipe requires just a few ingredients and trust me when I say, you don’t have to be super experienced in the kitchen to make a perfect asparagus tart – this recipe is absolutely foolproof. This tart makes an amazing springtime appetiser or a simple dinner with a salad. Dee-licious, you’ve got to try this!
If I remember correctly, my love of cooking has started with a few simple puff pastry recipes. I absolutely loved that with a few ingredients I can make a
not so fancy dinner. Needless to say, my food wasn’t very exciting or original – back then I basically put heaps of cheese and veggies on my puff pastry sheets – but those dinners gave me enough confidence to start to play around in the kitchen and get a bit more creative with my food.
Although nowadays I don’t use puff pastry that often anymore, I have to admit it’s still one of my go-to ingredients when I need to make something that everybody loves and that’s also quick and satiating. Because seriously, who doesn’t love pies, tarts and little savoury snacks? Today’s asparagus tart is one of those never-fail recipes, I’m sure you’ll like it!
I have a few other asparagus recipes for you, don’t miss the season!
- Green Tabbouleh with Asparagus and Avocado
- Asparagus and Lima Bean Pasta Salad
- Creamy Asparagus and Pea Soup with Coconut
- Asparagus and Millet Salad
- Green Spring Salad with Asparagus and Broccolini
- Green Quinoa Bowl with Asparagus and Zucchini
- Mini Herbed Tofu Burgers with Green Spring Salad
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 250 g/9 oz thin asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 can of white beans
- ⅓ cup of nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup of cashews, preferably soaked
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ lemon, juice + zest
- 1 tbsp tahini
- salt, pepper
- 2 cups of strawberries
- ½ red onion
- 2 tbsp fresh, chopped chives
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1,5 tbsp balsamic glaze
- salt, pepper
- Add drained beans, nutritional yeast, cashews, garlic, lemon juice and zest, tahini, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend until creamy.
- Roll out puff pastry and place on a baking tray. Pierce the dough with a fork and spread the bean mixture evenly over puff pastry, leaving a small border on all sides. Fold edges inward and press down gently with a fork to secure.
- Arrange asparagus on the tart and bake in preheated oven at 180°C/360ºF for 40-45 minutes.
- For the strawberry salsa dice strawberries and red onion, and mix them together in a bowl with chives, lemon juice, maple syrup and balsamic glaze. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice tart and serve warm or at room temperature with strawberry salsa on top. Enjoy!