These vegan chickpea pancakes are so good, quick to make, perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can add anything to the base or on top. They are filling and healthy, high in protein and gluten-free. You just mix together the flour and water, then cook both sides for 5-5 minutes. So easy!
Growing up we always ate pancakes. The hungarian type is similar to the french crepes and we mainly eat it sweet. With jam, nutella or lemony quark. It was/is my dad’s favorite, so anytime my mom asked us, what we would like to eat he said pancakes. All the time. And anybody wanted to be nice to him made pancakes for him. All the time….I did and do like sweet pancakes, but I was never crazy about them. It’s okay to eat one, but that’s it for me. I remember I was in elementary school or so when I discovered savory pancakes. We had some leftover in the fridge and I felt I couldn’t eat anything sweet. So I started to put cheese and veggies on the plane pancakes and it was a whole new world! A new fantastic point of view…Later I discovered many different style pancakes and I love them all! Then came the chickpea flour and it made things even better.
You can make 3-4 small pancakes or 2 large ones and add whatever toppings you fancy. My favourites are:
- Guacamole + Tomato salsa + Corn
- Pesto + Shaved carrots + Pine nuts
- Roasted vegetables + Tofu feta cheese
- Cashew creme + Asparagus + Lemon zest
- Mushrooms + Arugula
- Spinach + Berries
- Hummus + Any veggies
- Olives + Roasted aubergine
- Dried tomato sauce + Herbs
- 1 cup of chickpea flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp backing powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil or oregano
- 1 tsp olive oil (optional)
- salt, pepper, chili
- for the tomato sauce
- 5 dried tomatoes
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- handful of fresh basil
- Mix together flour, water, baking powder and spices in a small bowl. Whisk well until no clumps remain.
- Use a non stick skillet or heat olive oil in a small pan and add ⅓ of the mixture and spread it out. Cook both side for 5 minutes or until not sticky anymore.
- While the pancakes are cooking add the tomatoes, dried tomatoes, basil and garlic to a food processor and blend until smooth. Serve the pancakes warm with the tomato sauce and toppings of your choice. Enjoy!