This butternut squash pasta with pecans is my ultimate autumn comfort food. It’s decadent, creamy, savoury, slightly sweet from the squash and coconut milk, perfectly spicy and seriously satisfying. I am telling you, even the vegetable haters would love this sauce! ♥︎
I know, I know…I am such a white girl. But what can I do, anything pumpkin or squash makes me excited this time of the year. I can never get enough. Soup, pasta, hummus, salad, smoothie, pie, chia pudding – you name it. Dishes like this healthy and creamy butternut squash pasta are the reason why I love autumn so much. So quick and easy to make, you don’t need any crazy ingredients, plus there are endless options to upgrade it. The puréed butternut squash is rich and luxurious without any butter or cream, but of course you can add some cashew cream for example if you like. It is delicious with a lots of fresh herbs or with fried sage. Other nuts and seeds or any of your favourite baked, fried or sautéed veggies (kale, kale, kale!!!) would take it to a whole new level too. I like it with my vegan parmesan too or with tempeh bacon bits. This time I used whole grain pasta, but you can try with any of your favourite pasta or for a lighter version with zucchini or beet noodles!
Check out my other pumpkin/squash recipes:
- Cream of Pumpkin and Apple Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Pudding
- Pumpkin Pizza with Zucchini and Nuts
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Bell Pepper
- 5-Ingredient Pumpkin Cakes
- Pumpkin Hummus
- Pumpkin Spice Chia Pudding
- Easy Multipurpose Pumpkin Cream
- pasta of your choice
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp fresh chopped sage
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp herbes de provence
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups of vegetable stock or water
- 3-4 tbsp coconut milk (optional)
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 large handful of pecans
- salt, pepper
- Peel butternut squash and onion and chop into small pieces. Add them to a large pot with sage, rosemary, herbes de provence, red pepper flakes, 1 minced clove of garlic, salt, pepper and veggie stock, then cook for 15-20 minutes or until squash is totally soft.
- Meanwhile prepare your pasta according to package instructions.
- Toast pecans, then chop them roughly. Set aside.
- Once the squash is done, add the mixture with the other clove of garlic, coconut milk and lime juice to a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Toss pasta with the sauce and serve warm with pecans on top. Enjoy!