Green tabbouleh with asparagus, avocado, mint and lots of lemon juice.
This lovely vibrant green tabbouleh is loaded with fresh ingredients and lots of flavours, and it only takes a few minutes to put together. It’s a light yet filling meal, that’s perfect as a refreshing spring main or side. This green tabbouleh will keep well in the fridge for a few days, so you can also bring it to picnics and potlucks, or to work as lunch. If you are an asparagus fan, this salad is an absolute must for you.
I’ve talked about this a few times already, but it haven’t changed a bit so I have to say it again: I’m totally obsessed with asparagus. If I could, I would eat it every single day. Unfortunately it’s not possible right now (life goals!!!), but I still manage to eat a few kilos a week when it’s in season. Asparagus is great raw, cooked, roasted and grilled, it’s amazing with pasta, gnocchi, quinoa and millet, and it makes the worlds best green soup. And of course any salad with asparagus is just out of this world! This green tabbouleh became one of my new obsessions these days too, I have made a few different versions and they are all super tasty. If you can get your hands on wild garlic, definitely add some to this salad, asparagus and wild garlic are crazy good together!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 3 tbsp couscous or bulgur
- 400 g/14 oz green asparagus (about 25 pieces)
- 4 scallions
- 1 avocado
- 3 cups of arugula
- ⅓ cup of fresh mint
- ⅓ cup of garden cress
- ⅓ cup of parsley
- 2 lemons, juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional, I prefer to keep it oil-free)
- salt, pepper
- Place couscous or bulgur in a large bowl and add about 6 tablespoons of warm water. Cover, let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile cut asparagus into bite size pieces and heat a nonstick pan over high heat. Add asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Chop scallions, arugula, parsley and mint, slice avocado thinly and add to couscous/bulgur. Add cooked asparagus, garden cress, lemon juice and olive oil, if using, then season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and serve immediately or chilled. Enjoy!