Loaded baked sweet potato bites with oil-free hummus and veggies.
In honour of the bikini season I have a healthy appetiser idea for you today. Just because there is no better way to celebrate sunshine than a strict diet, right? Just kidding. However these loaded baked sweet potato bites happen to be actually healthy and diet-friendly and most importantly very delicious. They make a great quick snack or appetiser, they are totally customisable and very pretty. So if you are looking for a refreshing vegan alternative to deviled eggs, cheese platters or onion rings, I’ve got you covered.
So it’s going to be a short post again today, but honestly, there is not much to say about this recipe. Sweet, almost caramelised sweet potato slices loaded with creamy and lemony hummus and heaps of veggies, fruits and herbs. Really, all I can say that these are so good, so ridiculously good and even more ridiculously simple to make.
If you make these bites you should really get creative here. You can play around with the hummus seasonings, try beetroot, black bean, pumpkin, roasted pepper, sun-dried tomato or simply your favourite store-bought hummus. Or if you are not a hummus type of person
(then what are you??), try it with guacamole, kale spread, mustard, black bean dip, tzatziki, or a vegan queso sauce. And I won’t even start on the toppings…there are sooooooo many options! Some of my favourites are:
- avocado with black sesame seeds
- snow peas with pumpkin seeds, lemon zest and cilantro
- sweet paprika with dill
- cherry tomatoes with basil and spring onions
- apple with Sriracha and chives
- raw mushrooms with oregano
- peaches with basil
- beetroot with apples
- lentils and maple syrup
- toasted walnut and sun-dried tomatoes
- pine nuts and asparagus
- olives and zucchini with pesto
- caper and chickpeas
- brussels sprouts with dried cranberries
So have fun!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 lemons, juice
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- toppings: avocado, mushroom, sweet paprika and apple slices, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced spring onions, halved snow peas, black sesame seeds, fresh dill, oregano, cilantro and basil, Sriracha, etc.
- Cut potatoes into 1 cm/0.4 inch rounds and place on a baking tray in a single layer. Mix together soy sauce, liquid smoke and one tablespoon of lemon juice. Brush the slices with the mixture.
- Bake at 200°C/400°F for about 30 minutes, turning them over once halfway through baking time.
- Meanwhile add rinsed and drained chickpeas, tahini, garlic, rest of the lemon juice, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend until completely smooth. Add a few tablespoons of water if too thick.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, top each piece with a dollop of the hummus and toppings of your choice. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!