Beautiful mashed purple sweet potatoes with sweet and smokey glazed carrots.
This recipe is so simple and so ridiculously easy to make, yet it makes such a lovely, comforting meal. The creamy mashed purple sweet potatoes taste amazing with the crunchy and smokey carrots and the tangy tahini drizzle. If you ever feel that all you want is a big bowl of mashed potatoes for dinner, but you still want something pretty, this recipe is the one you need in your life. Perfect for lazy weeknights and also as a fancy holiday side.
Guys, I’m always so excited when I have mashed potatoes for dinner. I know, I know, I’m super lame. But what can I do? That’s the truth…. The only thing that makes me even more excited than regular mashed potatoes is beautiful, colourful mashed potatoes! Orange, red, purple, oh yeah! You can of course use regular sweet potatoes, but I felt the purple version would look much prettier with the orange carrots. Oh, wait, use rainbow carrots to make the dish extra cool!
This time I used a bit of butter for the mashed potatoes, because adding some butter to a dish always feels so festive (and since we are dangerously close to the Holidays I started to crave festive things), but as always, feel free to omit it or use coconut oil, tahini or almond butter instead.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 3 medium purple sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (or tahini for a healthier version)
- unsweetened plant milk of your choice
- salt, pepper
- 6-8 carrots
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- dash of hot sauce
- salt, pepper
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tsp rose pepper
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut them into large pieces. Add a little water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Place sweet potatoes in steamer basket in the saucepan and cover. Steam for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes and return to saucepan. Add butter or tahini, and mash with a potato masher. Add enough milk to make it creamy (I used about ½ cup of almond milk). Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile whisk together in a small bowl vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce, water, liquid smoke, garlic powder, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Peel carrots and add them to a medium skillet with enough water to cover. Cook carrots for about 5 minutes. Drain them and add back to the skillet.
- Add the vinegar mixture and cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the glaze gets thick and coats the carrots, about 5 minutes.
- For the tahini drizzle whisk together tahini and lemon juice.
- To serve add a large scoop of mashed sweet potatoes to a plate or bowl, top with carrots, drizzle with tahini and sprinkle with rose pepper. Enjoy!