Mini herbed tofu burgers with asparagus, avocado and watercress salad.
These pretty little oven-baked and vegan tofu patties require only a handful of simple ingredients to make, but they taste amazing. They are the perfect little bites: soft and tender on the inside, crispy on the outside, and full of flavours. These easy-to-make mini burgers are delightful with any fresh salad, fries, or as a slider. They also make a great snack or picnic food, because they are totally delicious cold and warm too.
Oh, tofu, you little a controversial food! I wish I could convience everybody, that you are not as bad as your reputation. In fact you are pretty awesome!
I’ll admit that it took me some time (and a lots of experimenting in the kitchen) to like tofu, but now I truly like it. Tofu is one of the most versatile foods, it absorbs any flavour you give it. You can use it in salads, pastas, stir fries, burgers, sauces, desserts, as a vegan cheese, as an egg replacer, the list is really endless. It’s also a budget-friendly meat or fish alternative and an excellent source of protein and calcium. Yes, tofu is good.
How about you? Tell me, how do you feel about tofu? Love it or hate it?
If you said hate (or love, of course), I urge you to try this recipe. It’s a great way to learn to like tofu, because you can’t even detect it here. All you will find is great, complex, herby flavours, and a spot-on texture. And no soy taste, I promise. Serve the burgers with lemony tahini dressing, guacamole or herbed soy/almond yogurt for a mouth-watering quick lunch or dinner.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 300 g/ 10 oz extra firm tofu (preferably pressed)
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh herbs (I used parsley, wild leek and cilantro)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp ground almond
- 2 lemons, juice
- 3+3 tbsp cornmeal or breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 cups of watercress
- 1 avocado
- 10 green asparagus
- 1 handful of fresh dill and cilantro
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Place crumbled tofu, diced onion, garlic, fresh herbs, tahini, ground almond, juice of one lemon, 3 tablespoons of cornmeal, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend until smooth. Adjust consistency with cornmeal or 1-2 tablespoons of water if needed.
- Form mini patties with your hands. Roll them in the mixture of 3 tablespoons of cornmeal and sesame seeds and place on a parchment paper lined sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Meanwhile slice avocado, cut asparagus into smaller pieces and add to a bowl with fresh dill and cilantro, watercress, juice of one lemon and pepper, and toss to combine.
- Serve mini tofu burgers warm or cold with the salad and dips of your choice*. Enjoy!