Spicy Purple Sweet Potato Patties with olives and sesame seeds.
This recipe is simple and delicious. Sweet potatoes, beans, sesame seeds, coconut milk, black olives, fresh mint, chili, lime, green curry paste, and smoked paprika are mashed and shaped into patties, doesn’t it all sound just heavenly?! These vegan Purple Sweet Potato Patties are packed with amazing flavor and textures, and they pair perfectly with salad or a good burger.
I’m a huge fan of veggie patties, because they are great for using up whatever vegetables, legumes and herbs are in my fridge, and because they are usually very quick to make. Plus they are delicious cold or warm, so I can snack on the leftovers in the next days. This time I served these babies with a big spinach and mango salad, and an extra drizzle of green curry paste – so good! If you want a heartier meal, serve Purple Sweet Potato Patties with rice or potatoes, or inside an epic burger.
Since this recipe is totally customizable, as always, feel free to play around with the ingredients. Swap spices and herbs, use different legumes, add extra superfoods, or make bright, orange patties with regular sweet potatoes.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 2 purple sweet potatoes (350 g/ oz)
- 1,5 cups of cooked beans (for example kidney beans)
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp beet powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp thick coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 small chili, minced (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp green curry paste
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ⅓ cup of chopped black olives
- ⅓ cup of black sesame seeds
- salt, pepper
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Add pieces to salted boiling water and cook until soft. Drain and let cool a bit.
- Add sweet potatoes and drained beans to a large bowl, then using a potato masher mash until smooth. Add nutritional yeast, beet powder, tomato paste, coconut milk, lime juice, chili, mint, curry paste, smoked paprika and oregano and mix well.
- Fold in chopped olives and sesame seeds, season with salt and pepper, and mix everything together.
- Shape the mixture into 12 small (or 6-8 large) patties.
- Arrange patties on a baking sheet and bake them at 180°C/360°F for 45-50 minutes, turning them over once halfway through baking time.
- Serve patties warm or at room temperature, with salad, or on burger buns. Enjoy!