Vegan pesto and kale porridge with couscous is the most delicious way to start your days.
This delicious oat and couscous porridge is a rich and nutritious savoury breakfast. The creamy tahini-pesto oatmeal with fresh, green kale, sweet cherry tomatoes and crunchy seeds is full of great flavours and textures, plus it contains a good amount of vitamins, minerals and fiber keeping you full until lunch. This lovely filling breakfast happens to be also quick, easy and cheap to make. No wonder this recipe is one of my favourite things these mornings. And middays. Because it’s also a great lunch option.
When it comes to budget-friendly recipes, especially to breakfast recipes I always go for porridge. There is nothing more satisfying than a warm bowl of goodness in this stupid cold weather. However, I am not the biggest fan of sweet breakfast. Don’t get me wrong, I love smoothies, pancakes and chia puddings, but I can’t eat them everyday. On the weekends we love to make big fat breakfasts with tofu scrambles and omelettes, sautéed veggies, tofu and tempeh sandwiches, fried beans and breakfast burritos, but who has time for that during the week? I don’t, so I am left with my avocado toasts and savoury porridges. Oh….the best things in the world!
Savoury porridges are really just fascinating. You can make them with oats, couscous, bulgur, quinoa, millet, you name it. You can enrich the porridge with plant milk, nut butter, pesto or condiments of your choice, and season with fresh or dried herbs. Then just top it with whatever raw, canned, frozen, fried, sautéed or grilled veggies and greens you have at home. And of course nuts and seeds and herbs, as usual. Always delicious! This winter style kale porridge here is one of the most satisfying combination I have ever tried, so I highly recommend you to make it too.
- ½ cup of oats
- ½ cup of couscous
- 1,5-2 cups of veggie stock (or water)
- 1,5 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup of chopped kale
- 1 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 scallion
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tbsp pesto of your choice (I used sun-dried tomato-walnut pesto)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seed
- 1 tbsp hemp seed
- salt, pepper
- Add oats, couscous, vegetable stock, oregano, basil, salt and pepper to a small pot and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring from time to time.
- When porridge is soft and creamy add sliced scallion, tomatoes and chopped kale (save a little for decoration). Cook for one more minute, then stir in tahini, pesto and nutritional yeast.
- Serve porridge warm topped with a bit of kale, cherry tomatoes, pumpkin and hemp seeds. Enjoy!