Hands down this is the easiest and most delicious way to eat eggplants and zucchinis. A bit of lemon juice, olive oil and garlic brings out the very best of these veggies. This antipasti/antipasto recipe is perfect for a simple snack and as a base of so many tasty food!
You may ask what to use these for. So as you see on the pictures they are wonderful on a sandwich with some mustard and pine nuts. Or:
- Grab a fork and just simply snack on them
- Add them to your favourite salads
- Fill them with cashew cream, roll up and serve as an appetizer
- Mix them with quinoa, couscous or buckwheat for a delicious side dish
- Try them with your favourite cold or warm pesto pasta
- Or add them to the tomato sauce for your spaghetti
- Delicious in lasagne
- Delicious on pizza
- Delicious as a soup topping
- They are also a great addition to any risotto
- And my favourite: in hummus!
You can also use a grill for the recipe, the fire gives the veggies an even better taste! My favourite addition to aubergines and zucchinis is bell pepper, but mushrooms, onions or tomatoes are also delicious.
- 1 zucchini
- 1 aubergine
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- salt, pepper
- Slice zucchini and aubergine into 1 cm rounds, cut bell pepper into 4-6 pieces and place them in a single layer on a baking tray (I used two trays). Roast them at 180ºC for about 30 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix together olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic and spices. Add roasted veggies and stir until every piece is well covered.
- Let mixture marinade at room temperature for at least 2 hour. You can also marinade up to a week in the fridge: place in a jar, then fill up with olive oil. Enjoy!