Simple and flavorful salad with roasted pepper, pine nuts and homemade vegan feta. Yes, homemade vegan feta, it’s so cool! Extremely easy to make and you’ll be amazed by how good it tastes!
I planned to make a vegan feta for such a long time. Feta was one of my favorite cheeses so I was curious about its vegan version, but I was also afraid it’s gonna disappoint me. Stupid little Evi, the vegan version tastes amazing too! I don’t say it’s 100% like the original one, and I haven’t tried to cook or bake with it yet, but for salads or on a slice of bread it is very very good! Or just as a snack with apple and pear slices. You really should try this recipe!
Let’s start with this wonderful book: Miyoko Schinner’s Artisan Vegan Cheese – which BTW I highly recommend you! Whenever it comes to vegan cheeses I check out this book first. She just seems to have an answer for everything. Of course she had a feta recipe too, but unfortunately it requires mirin, which I just don’t have right now at home. So I had to make a little research finding other methods making vegan feta. I found this easy one on Simple Vegan Blog, which made me super happy, seemed like vegan feta is not as complicated as I thought.
I combined the two recipes, used my favorite tofu with almond pieces in it (but the normal white tofu looks prettier, since it stays white like feta), added some garlic, spices and olive oil, and I got a delicious vegan feta! I am so happy with it! You should try to marinade it for a week, it tastes the best that way. After a week you can remove the cubes from the marinade, place them in a clean jar and pour olive oil on top to cover the cubes. It will keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge. You can also sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top before serving.
- 3 large bell pepper
- 2 scallions
- ½ cup of vegan feta (recipe below)
- 2-3 large handful of green salad
- handful of pine nuts
- fresh basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt, pepper
- For the Vegan Feta:
- 400 g firm tofu (I used one with almond pieces inside)
- juice of one lemon
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of white wine
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tbsp dried basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- For the vegan feta cheese press water out of tofu. Place tofu between two paper towels and put something heavy on top. Let it sit for at least an hour.
- Prepare marinade. Mix vinegar, wine, water, olive oil, spices and crushed garlic together.
- Cut tofu into small cubes and add to a jar or an air-tight container. Add marinade and mix well together. Place jar in fridge and let tofu marinade for at least 2-3 days.
- For the salad start by baking bell peppers for about 20 minutes at 220°C. Once they are ready let them cool a bit, so you don’t burn yourself.
- Roast pine nuts, chop scallions, peel, deseed and dice the peppers. Lay mixed greens on a plate, then crumble vegan feta, add peppers, scallions and roasted pine nuts.
- For the dressing mix juice of a lime, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper together and pour over the salad.