It is so cold and dark here, I have to keep my energy levels always up, if I don’t wanna sleep already in the afternoon. So I need big glasses of fresh smoothies and big bowls of energizing salads, just like this spinach salad with aubergines.
I often make these antipasti style roasted eggplants, they are so versatile. I love to add them to my salads, pastas, soups or risottos as a topping, they are great in sandwiches or just simply as a snack, filled with some ricotta or cashew cream.
Just layer the roasted eggplants in a jar filled with olive oil and if you want add spices, nuts, other roasted veggies too. It will be good for 1-2 weeks in your fridge. To be honest, it will be even better, if you are able to wait a few hours or days, and won’t eat it right after it’s ready.
Note: I actually don’t use just one clove of garlic, more like 2-3-4, but I didn’t want to scare you off…..I’m a crazy garlic-lady.
- 50 gr spinach
- 1 apple
- 10 radish
- a small handful of sprouts (I used mungo bean)
- 1 scallion
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful of pine nuts
- 1 aubergine
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- for the dressing:
- ½ cup of cashews (preferably soaked)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut the aubergines into thin slices and place them on a baking tray. Drizzle a little olive oil on them, season with salt and pepper and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, the juice of a lime, some olive oil and the roasted aubergines to a small bowl, mix well together and let it set for a while in the fridge (the longer you can wait, the better it gets).
- For the dressing add everything to the food processor and blend until smooth. Add some extra water if the dressing would be to thick.
- For the salad mix together the spinach leaves, the thinly sliced apple, scallions and radish, the diced avocado, the pine nuts and the aubergines. Add the dressing and mix the salad. Enjoy!