Vegan Börek Cigars with spicy tomato filling.
Börek cigars are one of my favorite snacks, mainly because they are just perfect for grabbing and dipping. They are crispy and crunchy, and you can stuff them with all sorts of delicious fillings. These vegan börek cigars can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this Turkish classic is always a winner.
In my opinion one of the best filling for börek is this mixture of tomato puree, sunflower seeds and cashews. It’s creamy, sweet and savory, and has just the right amount of spiciness to it. However you can stuff these babies with basically anything you like, spinach, tofu feta, beans, mushrooms or cashew cheese are great options. Then shape them into cigars, rolls, triangles, or just layer it all in a large baking dish. I prefer to keep these börek cigars oil-free, so I use soy milk to brush the dough and bake them in the oven, but if you wanna go with the extra indulgent version, brush the dough with oil or melted vegan butter, and fry the cigars in a pan.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 2 sheets of round Yufka dough (or phyllo dough)
- ⅔ cup of plant milk
- sesame seeds to decorate
- ½ cup of cashews (preferably soaked)
- ½ cup of sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of tomato puree
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of fresh basil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 small chili, minced
- 1.5 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- salt, pepper
- Add filling ingredients to a food processor and blend to combine. I like to keep it a bit coarse, but you can also blend it creamy if you prefer.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife cut each yufka dough into 8 triangles. Cover with a damp dish towel, so they won't dry out.
- Place one triangle of yufka dough on a work surface with the longer edge facing you, and brush with milk generously.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the filling near the wide end of the triangle, leaving about 2 cm/1inch border on every side. Fold the long sides of the dough slightly over the filling. Roll up tight, and place on a baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling.
- Brush the cigars with milk, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 180°C/360°F for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy!