Simple and easy vegan roasted Brussels sprout pesto recipe.
Well, hello there, Brussels sprout haters. I have something for you today that’s gonna change your mind about these little baby cabbages. This recipe is one that would convert even the most stubborn haters, because guess what…it’s super delicious. And yes, it doesn’t taste like Brussels sprouts. This roasted Brussels sprout pesto is just comforting and absolutely flavourful, plus it’s a very simple recipe – perfect for beginners. Once you try this creamy sauce you’ll realise it’s to die for, whether you are a cabbage lover or hater.
Trust me, this recipe is going to be your new favourite way to make your children (or boyfriend) eat more Brussels sprouts. Though I personally absolutely love these beautiful, tiny babies, especially raw, I understand that most people have a not so lovely relationship with Brussels sprouts. I’ve been there too…it took me a while to learn to love them too….But believe me when I say, nobody would resist a good ol’ pesto!
I like to use hazelnuts and walnuts in this recipe, but of course you can use whatever nuts or seeds you prefer. You can also play with the cabbage-fresh herb ratio, if you’re still afraid of the lovely, earthy taste. I usually keep my toppings simple with this recipe, but you can make this dish a bit more interesting with orange zest, cranberries and more toasted nuts….the possibilities are endless!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 3 cups of quartered Brussel sprouts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 lemons, juice
- 350 g/12 oz pasta of your choice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp tahini
- ⅓ cup of toasted walnuts
- ⅓ cup of toasted hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup of fresh basil (optional)
- 1 red onion
- salt, pepper
- Start by preparing your veggies. Slice onion thinly and quarter Brussels sprouts.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with garlic powder, juice of one lemon, salt and pepper, then spread out onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 200°C/400°F for 15-20 minutes, or until tender and slightly crispy.
- Meanwhile prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- For the pesto add to a food processor half of the roasted Brussels sprouts, juice of one lemon, garlic cloves, tahini, walnuts, hazelnuts, nutritional yeast and basil, then blend until creamy. Add water if needed (I added ½ cup water). Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pesto, the rest of the roasted Brussels sprouts and onion slices to the drained pasta and mix well. Serve warm. Enjoy!