Delicious Vegan Savoury Pumpkin Rolls with walnuts, sage and coconut.
Oh yeah, autumn snacking at its best! These savoury pumpkin rolls are hearty, full of flavour and oh so soft! These pinwheels are a fun alternative to regular pizza if you want to change things up, whether you serve them as an appetiser or a main with a green salad. These babies are also totally customisable, and super simple to make, all you need is your favourite pizza dough and a food processor here. Savoury pumpkin rolls are great warm or cold, so you can take them with you for breakfast or lunch the next day. They also freeze well.
I was pretty surprised when I found out a few months ago, that such savoury rolls are actually not as common as I thought. In Hungary it’s very popular to fill pizza dough with various deliciousness, my mom used to make these all the time when I was small. Every family has their own secret recipe, but you can also buy these at every bakery or supermarket. The most common is probably pizza rolls, but the options are really endless. Pesto, veggie spreads, cheesy sauces, soy bolognese, hummus, garlicky spinach…anything you can imagine works wonderful with pizza dough.
I like to use my trusty little pizza dough recipe for these pumpkin rolls, it works well with white, whole-wheat or gluten-free flour, but for a lazy version you can also buy the dough in supermarket. Puff pastry would work too. If you want to be extra, you can sprinkle the top of the rolls with vegan cheese, I especially love these with parmesan or feta. And as always, feel free to play around with the ingredients!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1,5 cups of flour (I used whole-wheat - use GF if needed)
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- 200 ml/6.5 oz water
- salt, pepper
- 1,5 cups of pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp thick coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cashew butter (or tahini)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 scallion, chopped
- ½ tsp sweet paprika powder
- 10 leaves of fresh sage
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- salt, pepper
- ¼ cup of unsweetened plant milk
- ⅔ cup of chopped walnuts
- Mix together flour, yeast, oil, maple syrup, water salt and pepper in a large bowl. Knead dough for 2-3 minutes, or until dough gets smooth and slightly elastic. Shape it into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Cover bowl with a kitchen cloth and place it in a warm place. Let the dough rise for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare filling. Add filling ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400ºF.
- Once your dough has doubled in size, place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll it into a rectangle, about 35 x 40 cm, or 14 x 16 inches.
- Spread pumpkin filling evenly across the dough, and sprinkle it with half of chopped walnuts. Starting with the longer side, gently roll the dough into a log, then using a sharp knife cut the log into 2 cm/0.8 inch slices.
- Place the rolls on a baking tray (make sure they are not overcrowded, they'll rise while baking). Brush them with milk and sprinkle with rest of chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden-brown. Enjoy!