This is the new and improved version of one my favourite snacks ever: Vegan tofu feta cheese! Why new and why improved? It is basically the same recipe as before, but I have discovered 2 crucial ingredients which take the cheese to a whole new level. Miso and nutritional yeast!
It’s going to be a very quick post today. I don’t know why it took me so long to realise how to make the perfect tofu feta. My first tofu feta cheese recipe was also good, I love that version, but something was missing. Then a few months ago I started to add nutritional yeast to the original recipe and I was like ‘yes, yes, that’s it, that cheesy taste!’, now only the saltiness is missing. Of course I tried to add more salt, but it just wasn’t the same. And then she came, my hero and queen, Lady Miso! And now everything is perfect and delicious!
BTW, check out my Baked Almond Feta Recipe too, if you’re looking for a soy-free alternative!
- 1 package of extra firm tofu (400 g)
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 1 lemon, juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp oregano (optional)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Press water out of tofu. Place tofu between two paper towels and put something heavy on top. Let it sit for at least an hour.
- Prepare marinade. Whisk together every ingredient in a bowl until nice and even.
- Cut tofu into small cubes and add to a jar or an air-tight container. Add marinade and mix well together. Place jar in fridge and let tofu marinade for at least 2 hours.
After marinading keep the tofu covered with olive oil in the fridge in an air-tight jar to preserve it for 2-3 weeks. Add fresh herbs, chili, black peppercorns and garlic cloves for an extra fancy version.