This here is my favourite basic cashew cheese recipe. Now with herbs, other times with sun-dried tomatoes or lemon zest. Extremely quick and easy to make. It’s the best sandwich spread and filling for veggies, also great as a dip for veggie sticks or falafel. Who needs dairy when you’ve got cashews???
I have to tell you I am cheeseaholic. Cashew and almond cheeseaholic. It’s an addiction I am not ashamed to admit. Because vegan nut cheeses are awesome! I love them all! When it comes to aged cheeses I always go for my favourite cookbook about vegan cheeses: Miyoko Schinner’s Artisan Vegan Cheese. But when it comes to quick cheesy fixes this basic cashew cheese is the best. Takes absolutely no time to make it and it’s soooooo good!
Be creative with you cashew cheese! You can add so many wonderful things to make it special:
- Herbs: parsley, basil, chives, cilantro, summer savory, mint, dill, rosemary, thyme
- Chopped toasted nuts and seeds: almond, pine nut, cashew, pecan, pumpkin seed, walnut
- Dried Fruits: cranberry, prune, raisin, sour cherry
- Dried, baked or raw veggies: sun-dried tomato, aubergine, pumpkin, olive, jalapeño, carrot
- Spices: turmeric, chili, pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, green pepper, smoked paprika
- Or even: hummus, beans, lime and lemon zest, tahini
- 1 cup of cashews (soaked overnight)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup of chopped fresh herbs (I used dill, chives, basil and parsley)
- salt, pepper
- Add cashews, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend until smooth and spreadable. It takes about 5-10 minutes. Adjust consistency with water.
- Add chopped herbs and mix well together.
- Store in an air-tight container in fridge. Enjoy!
Try out my vegan feta cheese too.