Beetroot hummus and roasted lemony broccolini baguette slices make a great, quick appetiser.
The rich, creamy and earthy beet hummus and the mild sweetness of broccolini goes just perfectly with the crispy bread. This here is again a ridiculously simple recipe, but it’s so delicious, I had to share with you. Just spread the pretty pink creamy hummus on a crispy slice of baguette and top with roasted, peppery and lemony broccolini and voila, you get these protein and iron-rich, tasty little bites. They make a great, quick, oil-free vegan appetiser or snack, or a filling side for a big bowl of green salad. This recipe is perfect for parties, picnics, grab and goes and any other reason you can think of. Vibrant pinks, greens and yellows in a bite, everybody will love this recipe!
I am only slightly addicted to hummus. You may know it, I have a few hummus recipes already on the blog (with roasted pepper, spinach and black bean, pumpkin and sun-dried tomato). Once this good old hummus addiction was combined with the latest one, called roasted broccolini, I felt like I’m in heaven and found the Holy Grail or something like that…. you know…. You see, I don’t think that hummus is meant to be dipped. I think hummus is best on crispy bread, like crostini or a slice of toast. Then topped with fresh or roasted veggies. Oh, boy, I could eat that everyday all day long! I really don’t want to make you feel like I’m trying to force you to make this recipe, all I’m saying is that if you don’t make this your life will be never complete.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would highly appreciate if you could leave a comment and rate it. Also don’t forget to take a picture and tag it on Instagram (use the hashtag #greenevi) or post it on Facebook! I love seeing what you come up with! ♥︎
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 small roasted beets (cooked ones are also great)
- 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil (optional - I prefer using water instead)
- 1 baguette (use GF if needed)
- 1 bunch of broccolini
- salt, pepper
- Cut broccolini into smaller pieces, and spread it out in an even layer on a baking tray. Drizzle juice of one lemon over the broccolini and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Slice baguette and place slices next to the broccolini or if no space left then on another baking tray.
- Bake them for 10-12 minutes at 200°C/400ºF.
- Meanwhile add drained chickpeas, roasted beets, juice and zest of a lemon, tahini, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle in olive oil or water as hummus is mixing. Adjust seasoning and consistency if needed.
- Assemble your baguette bites. Take a spoonful of hummus and spread it across each piece of baguette. Follow that with 4-5 pieces of broccolini. Top with more black pepper and lemon slices. Enjoy!