These healthy quick pickled onions are extremely simple to make and you could impress anybody with them. These zesty-tangy onions are a super cool addition to so many dishes. They are perfect on salads, in a sandwich and of course in a beautiful burger. I also like to chop them finely and add them to dips and spreads.
I really love pickling veggies, I always use this quick method. I love pickled radishes, cucumber, zucchini, carrot, cauliflower and so many other things. But onions? I don’t know why, but I never thought of pickling them. Then the last weeks I saw so many awesome recipes, I had to try them out. And I’m so happy I did, they are just as delicious as every other quick pickled veggie, if not better.
It’s hard to decide what’s the best part of this recipe. Because everything about these onions is just amazing. First of all, it takes no longer than 10 minutes to make them. And they keep in the fridge for weeks. Onions are also cheap and you can buy them all year round, so you can make these beauties anytime. And look at that colour! Isn’t it unreal? That vibrant pink just makes me so happy. And then of course all the delicious food you can eat these onions with…I highly recommend you keeping a jar of pickled onions at home all the time. You can also experiment with many flavourings. Try whole peppercorns, chili, garlic, thyme or bay leaves. Adjust sweetness and saltiness to your taste, the following is just a (very delicious and my favourite) basic quick pickling recipe.
- 3-4 medium red onions
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of water
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper (optional)
- Add vinegar, water, maple, salt and pepper to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until salt dissolves.
- Slice onions thinly and add to the sauce pan too. Cook them for a minute together then transfer to a glass jar. Set aside for at least an hour before serving.
- Onions will keep for 3-4 weeks in the fridge. Drain them before serving. Enjoy!