Oh, a garlic soup! I guess you are not surprised I am so enthusiastic about this. Anything with garlic makes me happy, especially if the garlic has the leading role in a recipe. This soup is perfect with the sweetness of the roasted garlic and peppers and the freshness of the basil. The pine nuts make the soup thick and rich and add a great flavor too. Yummy!
I have to say adding roasted bell peppers to any classical cream soup is just a genius thing! The color is so pretty, isn’t it? I used now 2 yellow ones and one red pepper, so mine turned out orange. The sweetness of the pepper add a little extra to any dish. If you are bored of an old recipe, just try to add a little pepper and you’ll be amazed how much cooler it turns out!
And don’t be shy, use 1-2-3-4 heads of garlic. It just gets better! I like to add sometimes one clove of raw garlic too. Or crumble a little marinated tofu on the soup as a topping. Or add fresh pesto, all just perfect.
- 3 large bell peppers
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 cups of vegetable stock or water
- 2 tbsp of soaked pine nuts
- 1 tsp dried basil or a few fresh ones
- salt, pepper
- Put the whole garlic head and the peppers on a baking tray and bake them for about 30 minutes at 200°C. Once they are ready let them cool a bit, so you don't burn yourself.
- Peel and deseed the peppers, squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins and add everything to a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more water if it would be too thick.
- Pour the mixture into a sauce pan, heat it up a bit and serve warm. Enjoy!