Spelt (also called as dinkel wheat) is high in protein, magnesium and vitamin B2, and moderately high in gluten. It is a good source of dietary fiber, it helps lower your cholesterol levels. Because of its low gluten content it is easy to digest too. But other than that it tastes amazing!
It has a slight nutty taste, you may call it earthy. Spelt has a great texture, it is kind of chewy/crunchy. It is recommended to soak the spelt overnight, but I skipped this part this time. This way it took about 40 minutes to cook them, with soaking it takes roughly 20 minutes. It is not going to be perfectly soft, but don’t worry, they taste the best this way.
You can also cook them for 1-1,5 hours, this way they will be soft as a white rice, but in my opinion they are the best half hard. In this salad the creamy spinach and avocado with the silky tahini dressing make a perfect combination with the crunchy carrot and spelt. You can add some nuts or seeds on the top to make it even more interesting.
- ½ cup of dry spelt berries
- 200g spinach
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 3 scallions
- 1 big handful of rocket
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 avocado
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 lime
- salt, pepper
- Cook the spelt for about 40 minutes. Cut the bell pepper into small pieces and slice the spinach. Heat a bit of olive oil in a pan and add the spinach and bell pepper to it. Cook them for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the carrot, the scallions, the avocado into small pieces, add them to a big bowl. Chop the basil and rocket into smaller pieces and add them too.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the tahini, the chopped garlic, a juice of a lime, a little bit of olive oil and some salt and pepper together, pour it over the veggies.
- When the spelt is done, drain any excess water and let it cool a bit. Then add to the mixture with the warm spinach. You can serve warm or cool too. Enjoy!